Thursday, November 20, 2008

My 1st d@y teaching (^_^)o/

Yesterday was really a meaningful and contented day for me. Tania and I, as a volunteer, went to the city of refuge in Jalan Pudu in the early morning. Guess what? Both of us going to teach those Myanmar refugee kids English, A,B,C,D,E,F,G...la la la la ~o(n_n)o~


The street view from the school window, ruthless time had left their print on those building.


Tania were quite well prepared (I think so), at least she brought some papers and color pencils and thought of what to teach before the day. I only brought myself with me *pai seh*
The person in charge of the school, Do Chef and Do Seel (hope I'm not spelling their name wrong), who both are the teacher of the school as well gave us the volunteer a very warm and thankful welcome, after the short introduction, we were assigned to the class. which divided into beginner, medium and advance level. Tania was taking the advance class while I was assigned to the medium class.

Basically my students' age range from 7-10 years old. They are cute and green and look so naive in their shinny black eye. They are very courteous as well, they greeted me "Good morning teacher" as I walk into the class, I was really impressed. Papa, is it what you felt too during your 1st day teaching?

I thought my students English song in my first lesson, coz I think it's much more easier to learn something new with singing and I wana make my class lively and make myself friendly to them ^0^ My student are quite well-behave as you can see from the picture below

They copied the song lyric quietly after I wrote it on the white board, no need I asked pun. You see, how initiative are they and how eagerly they want to learn. Malaysian kids nowadays should used them as a role model. They should realized that how lucky and how happiness they are, free education with well-equipped school and well-trained teachers, clean and neat uniform, new school bag, new stationary. But still have a lot of them keep ponteng sekolah, lepak sini lepak sana and some even become Mat Rempit. Oh please peel your eyes and look at these Myanmar kids, shame of yourself!!!

I was told by Do Seel that the students were quite weak in English, but the fact is, they are much more smarter than I expected. They can remembered and followed the tune and rhythm although I only sing for once. They can read and understand quite well, just need to improve the pronunciation. I admitted I had under-estimated them *I know i'm bad*, so I will change a bit my teaching strategy and content next time to better suit their level ;)

See, how they enjoyed my class. Peace.....(^-^)y

Tania was facing some difficulties teaching the advance class, coz their level is much more higher than both of us expected. All the things she taught today is just a piece of cake for them. Never mind, since she already knew how far there have been went through, so kids, stay tuned for more challenging exercise next week ^^



Now I realized how great and meaningful the teacher is. No words can express my feeling when I saw all of my students paying attention to what I teach and enjoying spending their time with me, especially when they manage to learn what you convey to them, self-satisfaction arise in my heart which I never felt as I bought a new, trendy and branded dress in cheap price. Papa, I think I can understand why you so in love and passion with your job from now.

The kids parents were really appreciate with what we contribute. They all gave us a warm with grateful hand shake before we left.

Desperately in survive in their own country, those Myanmar fled persecution of their own country and came to our country, as illegal migrants and working illegally.
At night, they couldn't sleep in peace coz scared of the police operation and robber. The robbers will shouted and claimed that they are the police and robbed all their belongings while they are running for their life.
There are some cruel and cunning employer, whose call up the police on the day of salary, make they have to run away from the police and never back again so that those bastard no need to pay them for the salary.*drats*
They don't even dare to go to the hospital when falling sick or getting injured.
All they want is just a little bit of help and concern from us. In Myanmar, the things is even more worse than in our place. Even though the authorities raid 2 or 3 times a year, but they still think of it's better than Myanmar. That's why they are still here.

Guys, please help them if you could. Other wise, their life will be just finished in this place, hopeless, pathetic....

11 comments:

莎莎 said...

Wow~ that is for sure a memorable and meaningful experience!!

diaLoG wiTh tH3 c@t said...

yaya...I really have a great time with all those kids.
We are still lacking of man power, if u are interested and willing to contribute your time, you are welcome 2 this program ^0^

大頭 said...

i think when i was there, those kids will scare until wan go toilet also no dare XD

ShiRLeXia said...

Wow! What a meaningful thing to do!
I wish I can do something like that too hey!

diaLoG wiTh tH3 c@t said...

big show
haha...don't say like tat. i think they will like you coz u look like teddy bear.
oh...u can teach them some self defense, e.g wrestling

shirlexia
you can if u want. can donate ur unused stationary to them, they like color pencils the most ^^

Coral-Production said...

y so many photo there but don have urs?

diaLoG wiTh tH3 c@t said...

haha...i like to take photo of others rather than myself

xnos said...

wao~~what is a meaningful work!!
but i prefer teaching kids in art..haha!!

diaLoG wiTh tH3 c@t said...

wahaha...u can. they love color and arts as well =))

H@naKo said...

did any1 of them ask:
"sensei~ how come u keep on holding ur camera geh?" =.=

anyway~ sounds like nice experience eh~
did u offer them like:
"hey~ anyone of u wanna learn to take pics?"

diaLoG wiTh tH3 c@t said...

haha...i wana ask de, but their principal ask me concentrate in English 1st.
hmm...i'm finding the way how to teach them English while taking photo,writing my textbook now.wakaka....